Sunday, May 11, 2008

Erik's Spring Cup

First mtb race of the year, first time in Comp. The staging area was moved and by the time I realized it I was in about Row Z for the start. The prologue was a traffic jam, as was most of the first lap. I got behind a train of riders going painfully slow with nowhere to pass. Tick, tick, tick... the clock was running. There was a bike-swallowing mud pit on the north loop that I ran through rather than ride (so many endos, the photos should be spectacular) but other than that the course was pretty solid considering all the rain yesterday.

Still have this allergy/cold thing going on, which is tolerable except for trying to drink on the bike. I can't breathe through my nose so every time I tried to grab some fluids I'd start hyperventilating. Sweet. I eventually settled into a good rhythm and cranked out my 4 laps. 35th overall and 6th in my age group. I even beat Longley for once. Not bad considering I'm at least a month out from being race fit, and my number one goal today was not to get lapped by the pros. Next stop: Afton.

Photo by Skinnyski.com

3 comments:

Richard said...

I think that is the coolest race number I have seen. I think you should petition to keep it for the season.

Chris Van Ert said...

Yeah, that was pretty cool.

Janet said...

Good job! Good race.

I think I saw a pic of you in Dana's pictures - looks like you're singing to your water bottle. tee-hee.

Yayyyyyyyy! Afton!