Monday, June 11, 2007

A Perfect Storm

No sleep+feeling woozy+hot+humid+no water or food+Afton=Death march/bonkfest.

What was supposed to be my A race at Afton turned into my worst race ever, and probably my second worst day on the bike ever (I would consider the day I broke my collarbone better than this one). I could not fall asleep Saturday night. I took a sleeping pill which did nothing but make me feel loopy. Woke up tired and feeling weak and sick. Decided to race anyway. I didn't get my usual warm up, and felt pretty weak the few times I gave a hard effort. It was already in the 80's and humid by 10:30, and after standing over my bike in the sun for 15 minutes at the start line, I already felt worked. I could only find one of the energy gels I brought, so I didn't take one before the race like I usually do, saving it for later. Not good.

Race starts and as soon as we hit the first grassy climb I can tell it's going to be a long day. I've got nothing. No power, can't breathe. I was in the first 15 but after the Bridge Loop and Shady Lane I was completely cooked. The sun was killing me and to make matters worse I could not get anything out of my CamelBack for some reason. I gave up on racing and focused on finishing. I don't really know why I bothered since I knew I would throw this result away anyway. I guess I was hoping that I would somehow recover, which was a pipedream considering I had no water or energy drink and couldn't really try to suck down a gel with nothing to wash it down.

Somehow I didn't come in DFL, but 30th is about 27 places lower than I had planned on finishing and my worst finish ever in an MNSCS race (barring DNF's). 4th last week and 30th yesterday. Hopefully that's as bad as it will ever get.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Must have been that kit you were sporting.... Just kidding. The next race will be better.