Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hell has Officially Frozen Over

My buddy Grayson was in town this weekend for the Capitol Crit on Sunday. He asked if I wanted to ride on Saturday. I really didn't want to because of the hundreds of times we've ridden, it has never been leisurely, and I didn't want to blow up the day before my mountain bike race. We both promised to keep it mellow (again, that's happened hundreds of times before), and I met him and 2 other guys to do "the Loop" from St. Paul-Mendota-Mpls-St.Paul. Usually, I'd drop the hammer on the High Bridge climb, Grayson and Michael would contest every sprint sign, and John would be about 2 towns back trying to keep up.

Well, the 4 of us managed to get through the entire ride without even getting close to anaerobic. The High Bridge never felt so good -- granny gear all the way up, spinning and chatting the whole way. The only sprinting came in the last couple of miles to get out of a downpour. I'm still in shock.


No comments: