Monday, July 03, 2006


Racing
Afton Avalanche mtb race went ok. Didn't have a good start position, but made my up from the back to top 5 after the first few climbs. Had a good first and second lap, but faded in the heat on lap 3. I had top 5 but slowly drifted back to 9th. After 3 races I'm in 4th place.

State Championship Road Race went not so well. I arrived too late for the 4/5 race in the morning. So, I did the Masters 4/5 in the afternoon. I hadn't brought extra food since I was fueled up for the morning race, so I was already hurting at the start. Super sketchy race, with elbows flying and plenty of random braking. On the downhill on lap 2 we were doing 40-45mph. I saw a rider go down into the right ditch, his bike cartwheeling 10-15 feet in the air over the road and taking out another rider. Crazy. Lap 3 I was in decent position after the climb, but got blocked out and then cracked trying to bridge up to the group. Ran out of calories, and that was the end of my race.

Mankato is this Sunday, I'm sure it will be 100 degrees as usual.

No comments: