Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Erik's Spring Cup
No longer at Buck Hill, the first race of the season was held at Harmon Park in Inver Grove. 5 miles of flat, fast singletrack with little room to pass. We had 3 laps plus a prologue to string things out before the singletrack.

I managed to get in the top 10 before the singletrack but still got jammed up behind some riders. Almost all passing was off trail, and the twisty trail forced you to make your moves quickly.

I was top 10 heading into the final lap when I nailed something and got flipped over the bars. No idea what happened. Got up, ran with the bike until I could find a wide enough section to get back on without jamming up the trail. Adrenaline is a powerful drug, because despite the pain and stiffness I had my fastest of the 3 laps. The crash cost me about 2-1/2 minutes and 2-3 places in the standings. I ended up 12th out of 53 in my age group and 33rd out of 180 something overall. Nice turnout. Looking forward to the upcoming races that have some climbing.

No comments: