Monday, September 28, 2009

Cue the Jefferson's Theme Song...

"Well I'm a moving on up -- moving on up -- to the Expert class -- moving on up -- to a deluxe beatdown on the bi-i-ike..."

Peer pressure and the fear of being labeled a sandbagger are horrible things. So it looks like I'll be racing Expert class in 2010. Most of the guys who upgraded to Comp with me 2 years ago are making the jump, so I guess it's time.

Saturday was the last race of the year, and it couldn't have come soon enough for me. Motivation is gone and I need a break. I gave it a go anyway, came in 3rd in my age group and 9th overall. Locked up 2nd place in my age group for the season and possibly a spot in the overall Top Ten for the season as well.

This was definitely my best season ever on the mountain bike. I had only made the podium 3 times in the last 10 years or so of racing. This year I climbed the steps 5 times: 1 first, 1 second and 3 third place finishes in a row to end the year. I started and finished all 11 races, which is a feat in itself. It was a very tight, competitive race for the overall all year. Clayton thoroughly deserves the top spot after an outstanding string of victories. Ben and Brandt made sure it was a battle all year. Owen "raced" twice this year and had a blast. It was great having him and Jen cheer me on and hand up water bottles all year. Looking forward to a couple of weeks "off" then maybe some cyclocross, then back to Base 1 training phase for 2010. Or as it will be known, "the year of the Lanterne Rouge"...

5 comments:

Richard said...

Awesome! Cool to see your consistent places all year. You really do belong in the expert class.

ThoughIGot3rdButIdidn't said...

Craaaaap!

Does this mean I have to go too. But I don't wanna :(

Rhody said...

Helluva season bro!! Nice work. Good luck moving up for next year.

Chris Van Ert said...

Thanks y'all.
If that second comment is you Jamison, yes, you have to move up too. You're younger and faster than I am...

Jamison said...

Younger, yes.

Faster, not anymore.

Plus the cuteness of your kid adds to your fastness!