Monday, August 25, 2008

Snap (again)

First WORS race. I even got a callup to the starting line as one of the points leaders for MNSCS. Cool. I got a fairly good start, but was having trouble breathing with all of the dust. I entered the first section of singletrack in the top 10-15. First lap was fast. Second lap there was a train of about 10 riders going up the singletrack climb to the rock garden. That's the first time I can recall recovering on a climb. It was so slow that it was hard to ride without falling over. Third lap I had settled in and was getting into a good rhythm. Final lap, I'm feeling good, just passed some people in the last clearing and can see teammate and age-group leader Kevin Supple about 1o yards ahead of me. Pop it in the big ring and fly towards the singletrack. Must have hit the 90 degree turn a little hot, because I hit the deck hard. Dropped my chain, took forever to get it running. Got back on and managed to catch the two guys who passed me. Get through the downhill and to the switchback climb. I shift gears and SNAP, my rear derailleur is broken. Race over, season over (I won't have enough races for series points now). To say I'm bummed is an understatement. I was riding well, feeling surprisingly well. I had a couple of minutes on Rich Omdahl, somehow managed to pass and drop Walters and had the most difficult sections behind me, with nothing but fast flowing singletrack and the finish line ahead of me. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

So, today I get to go to the shop and assess the damage. New XTR rear derailleur for sure, hopefully the XTR wheel isn't toast as well. I've got some serious trail rash and bruising on my hip, knee, and arm. And I'm pretty sure my goal of a podium spot for the series is shot. No Maplelag this weekend, since the repair bill will be $$$. Could have been worse.

(I've decided to delete my rant about a certain rider and let it go.)

4 comments:

Rhody said...

Bummer!! Isn't this the second derailleur for you this year? Does this mean your not heading up to the Loppet?

Chris Van Ert said...

I popped a derailleur at Spirit last year, chain at Mankato this year, then another derailleur Sunday. Much better than stitches, glad you're ok. If my bike is ready by Saturday I think I'll try to make Maplelag. If I don't see you, good luck qualifying for Nationals!

Rhody said...

Thanks man! I think I need more help with the camping situation though. This will be the first time going with Addie and the dog. I think that will be more stressfull than the race. Hope you can make it up.

Janet said...

Awe man! Your rant was great. I was about to link it up to one of my blog posts. :-( Sissy.